Friday, October 23, 2009

Driving, running, brotherly love, and Oma kisses


We continue to start our days, just like in the states, outdoors with a walk. The boys are far too restless around all this farm land to sit in the stroller and just watch the scenery go by. They want to get their feet dirty per se and explore their surroundings. On this particular day we went and visited the horses that my sister-in-law had already led out to the pasture.



The boys have gotten over their fear of the
horses, however, I have not. I fear that they get too close and either get bitten, trampled, or kicked. I have been very cautious and always remind them to only go near the horses when my sister-in-law aids them.
Previously, I mentioned the kitten Nicholas
had attracted and had followed us home. Yes, the kitten is still around and now she has brought another kitten friend with her. My brother is not exactly enchanted with the idea of two kittens, however, fair is fair and if Nicholas gets a kitten then so does Noah ;-) The kittens are like dogs that follow us around when we take walks. They even sometimes jump in the stroller and ride along. I have never known any cat to wander so far away from their territory!

Up to now our days have been filled with lots of outdoor bike riding and running around.
**********************************************************
On Thursday, October 22, we went and visited my Oma. Not only was I super excited to go and see her, but I was equally excited because I would for the first time drive a long stretch in Germany. I have driven only around the block before, but never any further. So I anticipated hitting the autobahn and taking off. I was not, however, anticipating driving through what seemed like a millions small farming towns. I had just assumed that there would be a highway of some sort to take me to grandma´s house. Ha! In the hour that it took me to drive there I never hit the autobahn. I drove through towns and villages, through forests, and plenty of farmland! Thank goodness for the GPS or I would have never found my way to civilization!

I cannot begin to write how joyful I was to embrace my Oma when we arrived. My Oma was born in 1929 and has lived through so much. She was widowed at the early age of 30 with 3 children. She has experienced Germany at its worst, through the DDR times, through the war, through Hitler, through the Berlin wall; however, she would tell you that she has always made the best of what she had and has lived a happy life! What an amazing and inspiring woman. We enjoyed lunch together as the 4 of us and then the boys took a nap in her bed. Their naptime gave me and my Oma the time to sit, drink coffee, enjoy the cake she made, talk and catch up. We laughed, shed some tears, but all the while cherished the moment of being together and enjoying one anothers company. During my adolescence I spent a great deal of time with my Oma when I flew to visit her from the states. Those visits created a bond between us that has held strong throughout the years. She is the true essence of why I want to move back to Germany.

After naptime we took the kids down to the river and they stood in awe as a German steam ship passed by. The afternoon zipped by too fast and we all were sad to leave. The boys wanted her to get in the car with us and were not happy to leave her behind. Noah made sure to give her one of his wet sweet kisses before we left. Such a sweet boy!

She had given the boys scarves that she knitted and the next day the boys refused to take them off. They kept saying, ''Oma made that for me'' (proudly pointing at their scarves around their necks).

As our day here is coming to a close, I leave you with the following:
A grandma is warm hugs and sweet memories. She remembers all of your accomplishments and forgets all of your mistakes. She is someone you can tell your secrets and worries to, and she hopes and prays that all your dreams come true. She always loves you, no matter what. She can see past temper tantrums and bad moods, and makes it clear that they don't affect how precious you are to her. She is an encouraging word and a tender touch. She is full of proud smiles. She is the one person in the world who loves you with all her heart, who remembers the child you were and cherishes the person you've become. ~Barbara Cage~

2 comments:

  1. Hey, Jackie, this was very sweet, and made me shed a few tears, missing my grandparents. They were such a wonderful part of my childhood. Thanks for the great memories! I'm so glad you got the opportunity to go visit her, and your boys are lucky to get to go to Germany.
    Love,
    Curtis

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my goodness Jackie, what an awesome memory for you and the boys. My oma grew up in Germany during that time as well and to hear some of her stories, it is just amazing. She lives here in the states now, but I have always wanted to go back and meet my extended family there, and see where my oma and opa grew up and my dad was born. I love the pictures of your oma and the boys. So sweet. She reminds me of my Omi, who was my great grandma. I love it.

    ReplyDelete